Young Careerist (YC) Program
The Virginia Allan Young Careerist (YC) Program is a signature BPW program that recognizes and celebrates the accomplishments of successful individuals.
The Young Careerist (YC) program provides training, leadership and personal development skills helping young professionals to showcase their professionalism, public speaking skills and networking excellence.The benefits of being involved in the YC program include opportunities to learn about current issues facing working women, acquire knowledge about the state legislative platform, advocacy issues, opportunity for visibility in the community, opportunities for networking with other successful professionals and modern education around personal and professional development including business etiquette, confidence, and relationship equity.
In the YC Program, You Can:
- Be recognized for your accomplishments and service in your profession and community.
- Network with successful women and men in the professional and business world.
- Improve your self-confidence and leadership skills, developing friendships and support networks.
There are Five Areas of Competition:
- Personal Interview
- Application Forms
- Group Interaction
- Public Speaking – Present a 4 Minute Speech
- Mentorship and Leadership Experience
A State Young Careerist Representative Must:
- Be between the ages of 21 and 35 (inclusive by July 31st) following the first competition in which she/he participates.
- Be or have been employed in business (includes self-employed) or the professions with at least one year of full-time work experience in her/his career area.
- Be a BPW member in good standing and sponsored by a BPW Local to compete at the State level.
- Understand the BPW/WA mission, vision, and legislative platform. If selected, the Young Careerists must review the legislative platform and pledge they will not speak against platform items in the capacities as Young Careerist representatives.
Speech Topics and Information:
The Young Careerist selects a speech topic from a list of 5 topic options. YC representatives are given ample time to prepare for their speech once the topic has been selected. Speeches are to be four minutes in length. No props are allowed and all YC representatives will be required to remain standing when speaking. See the YC 2020/21 Brochure for additional information.
How to Apply:
Contact Carol Stanley, the BPW/WA Young Careerist Chair, at YC@bpwwa.org to receive a YC Application. The application includes a BIO/resume of the YC, submitting a professional photo, and reading and signing the BPW/WA Legislative Platform. You may also obtain the YC forms to apply on the Resources and Forms page on this website (go to About then click on Resources and Forms).
Past Young Careerists:
2020-21: Breeann Hufford
2018-19: Arianna Kemis (winner), Elvira Makarevich, Makenzie Stubbs
2017-18: Tiffany Lundt (winner), Lindsey Patterson, Dipti Sharma, Margaret Kidwell
2016-17: Lauren Huntington (winner), Elizabeth Garcia, Julia Eagan
2015-16: Jessica Dahl (winner), Kyle Theptee, Carissa Blair
2014-15: Corri Langlois (winner), Krista Bates
2013-14: Shauna Starcher
2012-13: Laurie Buehler Hamilton